Sunday, April 16, 2017

Liquid Chef Kalel Demetrio Bar Crawl Experience Part 1!



When you say Liquid Chef what does it mean for you? For me it means one that dabs in the arts of the liquid form. And I am not just saying alcoholic drinks but any kind – Smoothie, tea-based drinks and everything in between.

Its really such an honor to meet one which is Chef Kalel Demetrio.

As his nickname Liquido Maestro or Liquid Master in English, He is a master of his craft in more ways the mind can think.


I first met Chef Kalel during Dine Misamis Occidental and learned that from humble beginnings, and his passion for making Philippine-based products to be known internationally made me more interested in knowing his advocacy.

As being one of the attendees of his very first Bar Crawl, I learned more about his craft by the story of each drink that was showcased and also we tried.

The first stop was Big Bad Wolf in Burgos Circle.

This establishment features international dishes prepared with local produce.  Opens from Monday to Saturday from 11:00 AM till 2:00 AM, Big Bad Wolf is your homey place to eat away from home.
The exterior would remind you of a café as they have plants and the tables and chairs gives a laid-back vibe to it.

And of course since this is a bar crawl, it wouldn’t be complete without food to pair up the drinks.


The first one that was served is the Burrata. It is an Italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream, but unlike other versions of Burrata, the mozzarella and cheddar was made from carabao’s milk. 
Another factor that made this dish good to the taste buds is it was smoked with acacia wood giving an added flavor.

This appetizer really worked up my tummy for the next food to be served. Along with the cheese, it is best enjoyed with tomatoes, greens and salt toppings.


Next served was the Carbonara with pork cheeks.

It surprised me when the owner mentioned that the ‘bacon’ bits were made from pork cheeks. It has a different flavor to it but still hit the right notes in my taste buds. The cream that was used was also carabao’s milk.


The third specialty that was given was the Big Bad Wolf’s Chili Wings.


This is a different kind of twist to the regular chili wings because the spice doesn’t hit you hard unlike those that I have tried before. It also come with a side cream dip made from carabao’s milk with some herbs that brings the flavor to a different level when added to it.

The drink that Chef Kalel paired with these three wonderful dishes is called Basi Spritz.


Now if you don’t know, the older generation would know Basi as a traditional fermented drink made form sugarcane. My memory of Basi in my childhood was when one time my cousins from the province brought a big bottle of it in Manila and had a drinking spree with my brother and my dad. Let’s just say that my brother and father were not prepared to the impact of Basi. I tried it as well when I was in college which solidified my nickname in my group of male friends as the girl who can’t be drunk – Ever!

The one that Chef Kalel contained basi as the base of the drink and added syrups, orange and cucumber which gives this drink a refreshing effect which I will go back for an afternoon drink with my friends.

It’s very light and refreshing to the taste which makes it a great drink with your coworkers after a whole day of stressful tasks.

Out of the three dishes that were served, I would like to have the Big Bad Wolf Chili wings again. I really like the taste of that dish and it’s a great barkada bar chow along with your favorite drink and also along with the basi spritz.

This is only part one of Chef Kalel’s Bar Crawl Experience! Make sure to check back for part 2 and 3!

Much Love!

Xx Alice 

No comments:

Post a Comment